Friday, June 19, 2020

Pause the Moment- I am in Shimla, The Queen of Hills

Although I am not a travel blogger, but I believe that each one of us has a longing to travel someday. So I just thought about giving you a glimpse from one of my trips to the mountains of Shimla, Queen of Hills.


A year ago, after the completion of my internship, the idea of visiting Shimla was born. At that time I didn’t know someday, I will be writing about this trip. I had many trips, but this was completely special. 

Before I sat to write the journey, I thought it would be complete within an hour or two. No bro, I was wrong. When I started writing, I started getting lost in memory lane.


What a beautiful place it was! I still remember what I saw. With each passing second, it was getting difficult to pen down the beauty of hills, cold winds, tiredness of trekking, and much more. 


Okay, okay! Let’s start now.


That was an unexpected trip. I woke up late, changed, and went to the bus stop. Shit! I had missed all the buses going for Shimla. I was sad inside and about to return home when I saw a running Bus with the hoarding of Shimla. I ran fast and caught the bus. Oh! I took a long breath and fixed myself. 


The trip was a great travel ride, all thanks to the weather which was really pleasant with winters just seeping in.


Pause the Moment- I am in Shimla, The Queen of Hills.  Pause the Moment- I am in Shimla, The Queen of Hills.
The Ridge, the Mall road of Shimla is the heart of the city.

 Pause the Moment- I am in Shimla, The Queen of Hills.  
 Pause the Moment- I am in Shimla, The Queen of Hills.
 Pause the Moment- I am in Shimla, The Queen of Hills.  
 Pause the Moment- I am in Shimla, The Queen of Hills.

It is one of the active commercial areas of this place. Automobiles were not allowed and hence we had to walk. 

The Ridge is a wide-open street located on the side of Shimla Mall Road. The Ridge has everything, from shops selling some exclusive monuments to the spectacular view of the snow-capped mountain. It is famous for a lot of things, but best known for shopping.

The traditional outfit of Himachal Pradesh

          Pause the Moment- I am in Shimla, The Queen of Hills.

   Pause the Moment- I am in Shimla, The Queen of Hills.

Long kurtas stretching from neck to their toe is the traditional outfit of Himachal Pradesh. Sometimes GhaghrisSalwar-KameezCholis, and a lot of bangles are included.

There are many ornaments and jewelry that are worn by women: Chakk (silver domed and worn on the top of head), Chanderhar (necklace or pendant worn in weddings), Chiri (similar to maangtika), Toke (wristbands), Pari (foot necklace), Jhumka (earrings), etc.

These dresses are available on rent, for photography. You can wear them like I did.

 Watching the sunset at Scandal Point

Pause the Moment- I am in Shimla, The Queen of Hills.

    Pause the Moment- I am in Shimla, The Queen of Hills.

The flat platform on the Ridge road becomes a point of activity in the evenings as people gather to visit the Scandal Point. It offers a divine view of the magnificent sunrise and sunset

Shimla has a lot of stories to tell, some legends and more heritage, but all equally exciting. Begins at the appropriately named ‘Scandal Point’ where legend has it that the Maharajah of Patiala was exiled from Shimla after an intense argument with the Viceroy (some stories say he ran away with the Viceroy’s daughter) and was eventually exiled from Shimla –giving this spot its name in 1892. 

Run to Lakkar Bazaar for wooden gifts

   Pause the Moment- I am in Shimla, The Queen of Hills 
       Pause the Moment- I am in Shimla, The Queen of Hills.
It took my heart at the very first sight. A stroll through the Lakkar Bazaar or the Tibetan market has gifts at bargain prices. The nearby Gaiety theatre is also a rich cultural heritage and worth a visit. I bought the key-rings and a memento. 

Trekking to the top of Jakhoo Temple is the best activity you can do in Shimla

            
  Pause the Moment- I am in Shimla, The Queen of Hills.      
  
  Pause the Moment- I am in Shimla, The Queen of Hills.Pause the Moment- I am in Shimla, The Queen of Hills.       Pause the Moment- I am in Shimla, The Queen of Hills.

Jakhoo Temple is located at a height of around 2,455 m above sea level. Trekking is a popular activity for tourists to reach the top. It takes around 1.5 to 2 hours to get to the peak. Though the activity is easy during other seasons, it can get a bit tiring during summer. It has Lord Hanuman’s footprints engraved on marble, paintings, and statues of Lord Hanuman and Lord Ram. The pious chants (or Bhajans) and the ringing of bells fill up the entire complex.

The grand Viceregal Lodge, also called Indian Institute of Advanced StudyPause the Moment- I am in Shimla, The Queen of Hills.


   Pause the Moment- I am in Shimla, The Queen of Hills. 

Pause the Moment- I am in Shimla, The Queen of Hills.

The Majestic Viceregal Lodge also called Rashtrapati Niwas is like a mini-museum of British colonial rule and houses a collection of ancient antiques and photographs from that period. 

It is the most historically significant and architectural impressive building of the region that makes for a pleasant half-day outing. The Viceregal Lodge was the summer residence of the Indian Viceroy, the British Raj leader who governed the whole of the Indian subcontinent between 1888 until 1946. Within the Viceroy Lodge many significant decisions from this era about India was devised, discussed, and agreed upon.

For visitors the Viceregal Lodge is an elaborate Mock-Tudor stately home that is surrounded by immaculately maintained gardens. Only a few of the staterooms can be visited as part of a brief tour as the building has been transformed into an advanced university complex. Viceregal Lodge is located 2 km west of Shimla on the summit of Observatory Hill, which provides wonderful panoramic views over the region.

Snow: Capture Memories and enjoy

Pause the Moment- I am in Shimla, The Queen of Hills.
  Pause the Moment- I am in Shimla, The Queen of Hills.      Pause the Moment- I am in Shimla, The Queen of Hills.

Playing in the snow, rolling, dancing, and clicking pictures is another best thing to do for creating your own album of ‘Shimla in winter photos’. Making ice-balls and throwing it on friends is something that I will hold forever.

Shimla apart from being an ideal despite skin burning summers is a perfect place for enjoying the peaceful environment and vaporous beauty donated by Mother Nature. People love visiting Shimla for refreshing their hearts and minds and enhancing their innate skills.

For a normal person, Shimla is truly nature's delighting wonderland and one can enjoy in the world of immortal beauty and cooling environments.

Unlike usual trips, I was not burnt at the end. I was fresh, mesmerized by the view, trying to stay there more. It was worth it. It’s been astonishing going there.


Every travel tale has a different story. So I welcome you all to share yours in the comment section.


AND FINALLY, I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THANK YOU FOR BEING A PATIENT READER!

Happy travels!

36 comments:

  1. East or West India is the best ... Memorializedtravel ...I will go next time ..that enjoy nature

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully curated blog.
    Reader can feel like he/she is actually in the same place. 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much sir!
      I am actually learning from you people.

      Delete
  3. best thing is through your blogs it doesn't seem you're narrating it's like you're talking

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading your blog, it always seems that something is new, there is some interest. It will be fun. Reading in it, I feel myself inside it. I seem to have become a part of your blog.Shimla is a really beautiful place and as you have told in your story. I really feel like going there too.after .When will the corona virus end? I would like to go there and enjoy that way like you. I will enjoy this beauty everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you must go and enjoy. Keep a jacket, wallet and camera. Don't take anything else.
      And thank you for your feedback.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pictures. Very informative article.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks quite beautiful. Where in India is Shimla?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I am glad that you stopped by. Thank you very much for your feedback. Shimla is in Himachal Pradesh which is situated in northern part of India. It is a beautiful state, you must visit if you ever come to India.

      Delete
  7. This looks like an amazing place to visit. I have wanted to visit India for years, just need to win the lottery and of course now to get Covid over and done with!
    Looks like some great scenery, architecture and culture, not to mention different food items.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice!
    I think travelling is important for many reasons, and spending money on experiences is way better than materialistic things.
    I will be sure to check it out! Thanks for sharing Sakshi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, It's a great place to visit. I liked the story about the "Scandal Point". Thanks goodness, you didn't miss the bus, and we got a wonderful post with some stunning shots. Thanks for sharing your travels with us! keep smiling:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like such an amazing experience to have. It's made me want to plan a trip somewhere just to get out and see something new (which I will no doubt do when it's safe to travel, etc). I loved your photos -- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I first came across Shimla watching documentaries of beautiful train journeys. It was presented by British Journalist. It fascinated me then and still does now.

    So when I saw your blog on your visit to Shimla, I just had read it. I remain fascinated. Wanting to visit all the locations you've mentioned.

    It's one of the places I'll visit on my trip to India when it happens.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The best blog i ever read about shimla,Himachal Pradesh.

    You put the real beauty into words.

    Amazing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing. You have certainly made me want to go to Shimla

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, nice, thanks for sharing your information.The insights are really helpful and informative. Find some amazing adventures trips here:- shimla-manali tour packages

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing this blog, I really enjoyed reading this blog post. I love this place to see Agra Fort and Taj Mahal monument. If anyone wants to book it online Taj Mahal Tour By Car from Delhi enjoy the most famous travel sightseeing places and monuments.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Get 100% Customised Manali Packages From Chandigarh: Choose Kullu Manali Trip @4,999/- Per Person for Family & Group & get 25% Off.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Best Taj Mahal Tours & Trips 2023-24 which provide you the ease and get hassle free experience. Besides Taj Mahal Trips you get the opportunity to book top notch activities from our inventory. Visit the taj mahal tour Beside Normal Taj Mahal Tour Packages we take utmost care in arranging new giver Taj Mahal Tours fovouring solo ladies, couples and honeymooners.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mumbai To Manali Trip Packages - Best offers on Mumbai To Manali Tour Package for Family & Group @4,999/- Per Person. Get Amazing Discount.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for your delightful honeymoon blog posts! Your vivid descriptions and insightful tips have ignited our wanderlust and inspired our own travel adventures. From picturesque landscapes to cultural encounters, your narratives transport us to magical destinations around the globe. Much appreciation for sharing your incredible https://indiavisitonline.in/shimla-manali-honeymoon-couple-package experiences with us!

    ReplyDelete